Dentists perform tooth extractions when a tooth has significant damage, decay, or cannot be saved by root canal therapy. Dental extractions may also be conducted when a tooth is so badly broken down it can’t be saved. When a tooth is removed we often do a bone graft to prepare the site for a future dental implant.
Other Reasons For Tooth Extraction:
- If teeth are blocking other teeth from coming in
- If baby teeth are not falling out in time for adult teeth to come in
- Dentists may need to create room for teeth to move if braces are being used
- If radiation treatment is being used, teeth may need to be removed in the radiation treatment field
- Cancer treatment patients have weakened immune systems and teeth may become infected
- Wisdom teeth extraction